Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)
Rural Estates Operative
Location: Salisbury, South West, SP4 0JQ
Salary: £16,267 - £17,195
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Dstl in the established Rural Estates team at Porton Down.
You will sit within the Operations Division and be a part of our Estates Delivery Team within FMS (Facilities Management Services). You will be accountable for the practical aspects of conservation and rural management across the Dstl Porton Down estate and specifically on the Site of Special Scientific Interest, (SSSI) Special Protection Area (SPA) and Special Area of Conservation (SAC) in line with legislation and Dstl Policy.
You will need to be a hardworking, rural management focused individual who is able to work in a front facing customer environment with a skill set to engage with colleagues at all levels. In addition you will also work with external suppliers which are key to the day to day running of the Dstl rural estate.
We will provide any internal and external training for the role that is required for the successful candidate.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Knowledge of working on or with a working farm or, a forestry operation or, land management operations.
- Ability to learn the practical aspects of conservation and rural management.
- Ability to develop their basic understanding of the rural estate and further their career in an unique environment.
- Ability to obtain additional qualifications and skills to enable them to carry out their role and support the Senior Rural Estate Operative.
- Can develop an understanding of Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Special Protection Area (SPA) and Special Area of Conservation (SAC).
In this role you will carry out the following tasks:
- Scrub clearance and plantation removal
- Plantation maintenance
- Range track maintenance
- Maintenance of rabbit, plot protection and stock fencing
- Minor repairs to the site perimeter fencing
- Hedge cutting & topping of scrub
- Herbicide spraying
- General support for conservation activities including assisting with artifacts and displays
- A good standard of general education e.g. GCSEs or equivalent including English and Mathematics at Grade C or above.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office package
- Clean Driving and Trailer Licence
- Qualified as a competent operator in the use of agricultural and forestry equipment including but not limited to;
- Hedge Trimmers
- Backpack Sprayer
- Working knowledge of the safe handling and storage of pesticides
- Ability to drive Forklift Telehandler
- Employment involved with working on or with a working farm or, a forestry operation or, land management operations.
To apply head to civil service jobs website and search reference number 34840, or click here